Monday, January 19, 2009

Used Hand Planes part 4: Cleaning and tuning - the wrap up

So here it is! The marginally successful video demonstration on how to clean up and tune a used bench plane. Unfortunately, my internet connection broke in the middle of the demo, resulting in a part 1 and part 2 (initially I thought I lost the first half of the demo...phew). You'll especially enjoy the chattering across the cherry on the initial cut - nothing ever goes as planned....

Part 1:



And part 2:



Again, I'm not an expert and never claimed to be. There are a number of great resources that I posted in the blog series along the way to help you out. Also, there are plenty of woodworkers in the forum and chat room that have just as much if not more experience with this as I do. Hopefully, seeing a ham handed oaf like myself successfully tune up a used plane will inspire you to do it as well. If I can do it, you can do it.

Good luck!

Muddler

2 comments:

Doug Brummett said...

Thanks for posting up the video. I think it was an admirable attempt for the time allotted. Usually I break up plane tuning into a several day project spending only 20-30 minutes at each stage. I find that I am fresh and can see issues better with this approach. When I have raced through I have run into similar results and then I have to back track to deduce the problem.

Michael Marzullo said...

LOL - I hear ya Doug! nothing like trying to prove it was relatively easy and then run into chatter right off the bat. You bring up a great point in that it really is important to take your time with this initial process and get everything dialed in properly.

Just for a follow up, it took two to three days to get the rust cleaned off of the plane I had planned to use that day, so there went my time line. Also, I think that rounding the corners of the iron AFTER I had already honed the back might have been a culprit. Looking back on it, I think I rushed that stage. I also noticed that the cap iron wasn't honed as well as it could've been. The list goes on, unfortunately, at the cost of attempting to keep the time to a minimum.

Despite my fumblings, I do know of one fellow wood worker that was able to use the info I shared. The next day, he successfully tune up one of his father's old planes that had been passed on to him. I'm still smiling over that :)

Mudd