Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A new toy!!!!!

So, most of you know that I bought a new bandsaw last week (BIG thank you Jeff for putting me on to the deal). I've been eying the Grizzly GO555 ultimate 14" bandsaw for some time now but really had not planned to buy it until after Christmas. But alas, a deal is a deal and I couldn't pass it up (and I didn't even have to bring up the shoe or project analogies to the wife). For the money, it's a pretty sweet machine. Check it out:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Ultimate-14-Bandsaw/G0555

14", 1hp, upper and lower bearing guides, blade tensioning release lever, 2 speeds, cast iron table and frame, solid fence and miter gauge. Considering the price, it came very well equiped, but I did buy the riser block kit and a Shop Fox mobile base. With the riser block the resaw capacity is 12 inches (normally 6 inches).

Once again I had a great buying experience with Grizzly. I ordered the saw on Tuesday, the riser block and mobile base on Thursday (with standard shipping), and everything came on Friday. Their customer service had contacted me via email about possibly ordering lift gate service from the trucking company. Their replies were prompt and helpful, and they even cleared up my concern over the effects of drool on the cast iron table - great sense of humor, obviously, and a class act. The saw was packed very well - sometimes too well but that's better than having the parts rattle around in the box. The wheels were aligned at the factory, and once the riser block was installed it took very little upper wheel tracking adjustment to get it up and running. The wheels were coplaner right out of the box. All in all, it took me about 3 hours to get everything put together and set up including the base, mobile base, and riser block.

I've been very impressed with Grizzly so far. I had a similar experience with my 6" jointer last spring. It arrived within a week, set up was under 2 hours including the cast iron cleaning, and the knives were aligned from the factory. All in all, great value and great service. They really seem to care about how they are perceived. I would recomend them to anyone!

below are some pics. And Jeff - you might be the whitest guy in the chat room but I'm the fattest - if it makes you feel better :)



saw, baby, saw!!!.......saw, baby, saw!!!

Mike

2 comments:

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Drool droool droool! I want a bandsaw soo bad. money is kinda tight at the moment ( even at that deal) I don't know how big I should go though. Bigger is better I 'm guessing. hope you are totally thrilled with it and it gives you some great milage.

Kip said...

Mike nice review, I am thinking I need a smaler bandsaw of late, current bandsaw is 20", I can't mount a blade any less than 3/8 ". so I am limited. This info will prove usefull when It comes time to pull the trigger, which isn't anytime soon, but none the less this info will be tuckedaway for a later review. Thanks agian and "ENJOY THE Toy"

Kipster